Monday, August 5, 2013

Five things to love about August

August is by no-means my favorite month, (Hello, October? I love you.) but it is pretty great. Have doubts? Dig this:

1. Your summer tan has kicked in. Usually by August I have a gorgeous glow that has been earned both from working and playing outdoors. This year it is not quite fully developed, but I still have another month.

2. There are no national holidays. I love holidays, but in the retail (or resale) business they are pretty much consuming. August is great because you can celebrate the smaller things that may have been overlooked in a more jam-packed month. Tennessee's tax free weekend is intended for back to school, but I see it as a version of summertime Christmas except I only buy presents for myself. It is practically my duty to buy clothes, shoes, and office supplies that I don't need! Also, my birthday is in August which is great because hardly anyone has plans otherwise. What is there to do in this heat anyway?

3. Fall is coming. It seems wrong to look ahead when I'm all about celebrating the present, but sometimes I can't help it. You can feel it on the breeze. The mornings and evenings are cooler. The mosquitoes have all died from heat stroke. Kids are back in school. In June and July it's easy to take it for granted, but by August you know the summertime is coming to an end.

4. Football is here. Preseason games, high school games, and finally on the last day of the month, University of Tennessee games. I love football. Why? People can sit for weeks and analyze what will happen. They can use past stats and prior meetings, but in the end it all comes down to heart and talent. You never know what is going to happen in football, and sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes that's a very bad thing.

5. It is the month of possibilities. You could make straight As this year and keep your locker organized. Your team could go undefeated. You could start your Christmas shopping early. You could start your diet early so you'll have earned a "cheat day" by Thanksgiving. Maybe you'll become a better person. Maybe you'll try harder at work. Summer is ending and it's time to get down to business. Maybe this will turn out to be the best year ever. You still have time!

No comments:

Post a Comment