Thursday, August 29, 2013

Daily Yoga Challenge - Days 0-1

Day 0
Technically this isn't a day in the challenge since I made up the challenge on 8/28, and I took this class on 8/25. I'm not including it. However, I did notice a few notes I wanted to make about the experience.

Sunday, August 25
Took a class at the gym with Jen
Duration: 1 hour
Level: Intermediate

It was hard getting back into yoga after spending so much time away. It had probably been 4+ years since I had taken a class. I found myself sweating a lot (like more than when I take a spin class!), and afterwards I felt my muscles were very loose. I joked with Jen that I was undulating rather than walking to the car.

Move I loved: Pigeon
It always feels amazing to me to stretch my hips.
Bonus move I loved: Bridge
I was able to hold this for a long time with no discomfort. It felt really fabulous on my lower back, but the next day my butt was paying the price!


Move I need to work on: Lunges
I really need to strengthen my butt. I consider myself to have pretty strong legs, but a non-existent derriere.
Move I am excited to work on: overall endurance
Random observation: How does one wash a yoga mat? They perform all manners of sweaty aerobics in this studio. Hmmm...
-------------------------------------------------------
Day 1 Wednesday, August 28
Intro to Ashtanga Yoga by Kino MacGregor (MyYogaOnline)
Duration: 28 minutes
Level: Beginner

This was very very basic. She explains yoga in a way I like by talking about each word or movement and what it means. When you get right down to the poses though, they are very beginner. The video ended with a 5 minute meditation so it was really only 23 minutes long.
Move I loved: The OK sign used during meditation or while in the cross legged position. I had no idea that it meant unification of the individual soul with the divine soul. It makes sense, but I have never heard that before. Yoga isn't just for health. It is also bringing me closer to God.

Move I need to work on: Chandrasana
I've been doing this move wrong all this time, and I had no idea. It is like the 2nd half of a push-up. Plank is the first half of a push-up where your arms are fully extended. Chandrasana is where your arms are bent at a 90 degree angle, but your stomach and knees do not touch the floor. Oops. I was just kinda laying on the floor.
Move I am excited to work on: Lifting off the ground during lotus. The instructor Kino said it took her 3 months to get her butt off the ground in this position. I want to do it in one month!

Random observation: The ceiling fan in my living room hangs down really low. That is problematic if I want to keep my hands in tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment